Throughout its history, as a facility, foundation, and community advisory fund, the mission of Grotta has remained focused on improving the quality of life of older adults and their families primarily living in Essex, Union and Morris counties in New Jersey.
Grotta’s history dates back to 1916 when, for her 80th birthday present, Theresa Grotta’s friends formed the Theresa Grotta Aid Society for Convalescents. The society’s goal was to help needy families in Newark, as Theresa Grotta did, and later women recuperating from surgery as they transitioned from the hospital to home. In 1979, a building in West Orange, NJ, was purchased and the name was changed to The Theresa Grotta Center for Rehabilitative Services. As a 142-bed skilled nursing home and rehabilitation center, services were provided to the elderly on a non-sectarian basis.
Facing changes in the health care industry, the facility was sold in 1993, and the proceeds of that sale were used to establish a private foundation, the Grotta Foundation for Senior Care. The foundation awarded more than $3 million in grants to promote and support elder caregiving, senior programs at synagogues, and a range of community programs serving the elderly.
In 2003, the Grotta Fund for Senior Care was established with the Jewish Community Foundation. Here the Fund focuses its efforts on supporting aging in place with funding for programs and strategic grant initiatives.
Since 2003, more than $5.9 million has been awarded in grants.